About our blog

Bookmark this site or sign up for Windows Live Alerts to get updates automatically.

Subscribe:

Windows Live Alerts

RSS /Atom

We've returned home to the Seattle area as of August 2008, what an experience we've had! Please contact us via the links on this page with any questions or comments you may have.

The Winnebago Sightseer 35J has been sold to a lovely Scottish couple, so it will continue its adventures in Europe.


Monday, July 23, 2007

Step 3: Wrap Up Professional Obligations

In what I can only describe as surreal, I had a final lunch with team members today. It was odd to sit around the table and realize I didn't have professional ties with them any longer. I've been on "vacation" for 2 weeks - so what I knew when I left is "old news" today. Strange to finally admit that I won't be interacting with these people 5-days a week.

It was a calculated risk in telling folks far in advance that my "career plan" was to take a break for a year or two. I can't thank the team enough for the support and encouragement they provided during the past several months.

Prior to lunch, I handed my badge back to HR and signed the "separation agreement" - surprised there wasn't a more structured set of questions for the company to obtain standard stats as to reasons for leaving. While the HR rep was friendly enough, it was a rather clinical appointment - sign here, hand over badge, good luck, leave.

I think what really got to me was the hour after lunch (card key is gone) where my colleagues have all gone back to work and I was sitting waiting for my computer to reformat. I suddenly realized that I had absolutely nothing work-related to do. Huh. What a strange experience - I paced outside my office for a few minutes - really, there's nothing for me to do - no meetings to prep for, no slides to make... no hallway brainstorming to be had.

The final walk to the car was odd. A part of me will miss the day-to-day grind - contributing at some level to the success of the coporation. A larger part of me realizes it will always be there. There's plenty of work, lots to be done and plenty of time to get back to it. Let's go! (after a visit to the ProClub Spa, of course... thanks team!)

No comments: